Sunday 18 September 2011

Fishing Report 18/09/2011

Well, I went out on the river yesterday, along with my mate Daryl. Never caught a thing ......BUT...... did we get smashed up by something big!!! I took out my "don't argue, come here" gear and Daryl had a similar outfit. The object was to get a Barra or two.

It didn't seem to matter whether we were using live bait or dead bait, the result was the same. On every occasion the beastie just made a long, hard run to the point where we were going to get spooled and had no option but to crank on some more drag. This, in turn, put more pressure on everything and hooks, or swivels or knots gave way. On two occasions I could feel my line chaffing on something under the water and eventually the braid rubbed through and broke.

Now, I am fishing with 50lb braid and 60lb leader wound onto an Abu overhead reel which is mounted on a rod as thick as a broom stick - and I still couldn't slow this thing down. It had to be either a big trevally (I've seen some 1.2 Metre monsters in the river) or a shark or a very big stingray. I'm pretty convinced that it wasn't a ray because on one occasion I felt the hook dislodge from one that I was pulling in and the "thing" went straight back and hit the bait again, before going on another screaming run. A ray wouldn't go back on the bait like that. No aerobatics were observed, so we are convinced that it wasn't Barramundi.

So, we went home empty handed, having been smashed four times each. Can't complain though, it is way better to be smashed up like that than to not get a bite all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment